The NCAR Library and Archives are pleased to announce the processing completion of the NCAR/UCAR Equity Collection (NUE)) and the cataloging of donated books and other materials related to women in the atmospheric and geosciences professions into the NCAR Library collection.
The collection documents the evolution of issues facing women, minorities and their families in the workplace and, specifically, in the workplace of NCAR/UCAR. Starting in the 1970s, committees were formed to support the participants in the organization as they worked to encourage UCAR to develop a new policy, and NCAR to implement procedures on that policy for family/child care, flexible work alternatives, scientific appointments and leaves of absence. The committees were C4NW: Committee For NCAR Women, WIAS: Women In Atmospheric Sciences, CFW: Council on Family and Work, and Women & Minorities Committee.
The donated books that are now available at the NCAR Mesa Library are:
• Women Scientists In America : Struggles And Strategies To 1940 / by Margaret W. Rossiter. - ML Library Call Number Q130 .R68 1982
• My Daughter Beatrice : A Personal Memoir Of Dr. Beatrice Tinsley, Astronomer / by Edward Hill. - ML Library Call Number QB36 .T56 H55 1986
• Women In Science : Portraits From A World In Transition / by Vivian Gornick. - ML Library Call Number Q130 .G67 1983
• The Outer Circle : Women In The Scientific Community / edited by Harriet Zuckerman, Jonathan R. Cole, John T. Bruer. - ML Library Call Number Q130 .O87 1992
• Nobel Prize Women In Science : Their Lives, Struggles, And Momentous Discoveries / by Sharon Bertsch McGrayne. - ML Library Call Number Q141 .B42 1993
• The Door In The Dream : Conversations With Eminent Women In Science / by Elga R. Wasserman. - ML Library Call Number QH26 .W375 2000
Other related materials in the NCAR Library that compliment research in equity issues are:
• Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants : An In Depth Q&A with Nobel Laureates Susan Solomon, Beth Holland , Bette Otto-Bliesner, Linda Mearns, Paty Romero-Lankao and Kathleen Miller / by Erin Love – W-Women's Magazine, 2008 - ML Reports Call Number 102151
• Young Women In Science : Forging New Pathways / by Laura Bonetta ... et al. ; editor, Sean Sanders], A booklet brought to you by the AAAS/Science Business Office. - ML Reports Call Number 102152
• Why Are There Still So Few Women in Science? / by Eileen Pollack, New York Times Magazine. – ML Reports Call Number 102153
• Where Are The Women Geoscience Professors? : Report On The Workshop Where Are The Women Geoscience Professors?, September 25-27, 2003, Washington, D.C. / by Holmes, Mary Anne; O'Connell, Suzanne (Suzanne B.); National Science Foundation (U.S.). - ML Reports Call Number 102154
If you have questions regarding the items, want to suggest additions to the library collection, or have a donation for the library, please contact the NCAR Library at email@example.com or ext. 8505.
Materials in the NCAR Archives may be viewed by appointment in the NCAR Archives during regular business hours. For information about the NCAR Archives, please contact the NCAR Archivist, Kate Legg, at firstname.lastname@example.org.