UCAR President's Council Summary Notes - 16 December 2011

Present for all agenda items: Rick Anthes, Tom Bogdan, Jack Fellows, Maura Hagan, Katy Schmoll, and Roger Wakimoto
Present for Item 1: Matt McMullen, Helen Moshak
Present for Item 2: Cindy Schmidt
Present for Item 3: Rena Brasher-Alleva
Present for Item 4: Peter Backlund, Matt Hirschland, Raj Pandya, and Jeff Reaves
Present for Item 5: Rena Brasher-Alleva, Aneka Finley, Susan Friberg, Matt Hirschland, and Meg McClellan
Present for Item 6: Matt Hirschland, David Hosansky, and Meg McClellan
Present for Item 7: Matt Hirschland and Meg McClellan

To view previous summary notes, please go to the following link:  https://www.ucar.edu/inside/internal/pc.

We convened at 8:00 am in the Fleischmann Building Board Room.

1.  FEMP Super ESPC Program.

Matt McMullen briefed the President’s Council on a DOE managed program called “Super Energy Savings Performance Contracting” (SuperESPC), which provides for no-upfront-cost contracting for the implementation of energy conservation measures; the contractor is then paid through the energy, water, wastewater and operations savings from these measures. The program is available for Government owned and leased buildings only. DOE acts as a consultant throughout the process. Matt and Katy have discussed this program with NSF, and NSF is enthusiastic about the possibilities. The PC authorized Matt to begin the process with DOE and asked that the PC be kept informed of progress.  The PC also asked Matt to include more program leadership input on the prioritization of these ESPC projects.

2.  Nominations for NSF GEO Assistant Director.

The Council discussed a number of good candidates for the position of the NSF Assistant Director for Geosciences.  Nominations are due by 21 December.

3.  NCAR and UCAR Budget Updates.

UCP:

Jack updated the President’s Council on the FY12/13 budgets.  He mentioned that some of the NOAA budget cuts were starting to impact a few UCP programs, particularly COSMIC and VSP.  He also mentioned that FY13 budget projects are very difficult right now, given the uncertainty of both FY12 and FY13.

NCAR:

Roger updated the President’s Council on the FY12 budget.  NSF has received its budget, and we are now waiting for AGS to receive its budget.  On the indirect side MTDC is projected to be down in FY12, and it is anticipated that NCAR’s indirect variance will be similar to last year’s.

4.  NSF Management Review.

Rick led a discussion about the response to the recent NSF management review of UCAR and NCAR.  The response is due by the first week of January.  We agreed on lead authors to respond to the 33 recommendations; first drafts are due to Rick by 23 December.

5.  February Board of Trustees.

We reviewed a preliminary agenda for the February 2012 Board meeting.  Tom mentioned his interest in providing the Board with advanced materials and focusing more on discussion at the meeting.  Tom would like to make a presentation on some ideas he has for his first 180/360 days, including topics like the value of UCAR membership, new governance ideas, advocacy strategy, etc.  He would like to introduce these topics early in the meeting, let people think about them overnight, and then discuss them again in more detail later in the meeting.  Tom talked to Board Chair Dennis Hartmann about some of these ideas, and Dennis was supportive of this approach.  There are quite a few other business activities that need attention at the February Board meeting, including audit and finance issues, NCAR budget and program issues, the recent management review, UCAR Foundation leadership, Board Nominating Committee recommendations, and possible bylaw changes.  We will review an updated agenda at the January 2012 President’s Council meeting.

6.  Communications Strategy.

The Council revisited the importance of education about the use of email and how to avoid problems, agreeing that continued town meetings throughout the labs and programs in NCAR and UCP would likely be the most effective communication mechanism.

7.  UCAR POC for International Affairs.

Jack mentioned that Tom Bogdan will meet with WMO leaders at the January 2012 AMS meeting and had asked him whether there was an international affairs point of contact at UCAR (like there is in NOAA that handles IA type activities).  Jack explained that these activities were largely handled at the program level.  For example, we have a UCAR-WMO MOU that covers a broad range of possible collaborations, including GLOBE, COMET, and RAL activities. We discussed: (1) the value of having a website where people can learn more about these activities and find related agreements, and (2) the value of having a working group of people (business and program) that could discuss these activities and perhaps look at whether a more high-level strategic approach might make sense.   Jack will work on these issues.

8.  Unstructured Discussion.

Roger discussed the draft agenda for the upcoming NSF/AGS/NCAR retreat to be held on 10-11 January.  The purpose of the retreat is to talk about the strategic priorities for both organizations.

We adjourned at 1:00 pm.

About you
First name: 
Susie
Last name: 
Siders
Phone extension: 
1650
Announcement contact
First name: 
Rick
Last name: 
Anthes
Phone extension: 
1652
Announcement duration
Start: 
Thursday, December 22, 2011
End: 
Friday, December 23, 2011