Frequently Asked Questions - Contact Us

This list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) addresses typical questions about facilities and services at NCAR and UCAR. If you don't find an answer here, in the dropdown menus above, the links at the right, or by using our site search, please fill out our web form to email us.

Finding data

Observational records for global average temperatures, including surface data for the land and oceans, are available from NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS). You will find contact information for assistance at the bottom of the NASA GISS page:

Related question

Where can I find research data from atmospheric and Earth system observations and modeling experiments?



UCAR's Unidata Program Center helps researchers and educators in the United States and abroad obtain and put Earth system data to use. Our services include

  • streaming data
  • software tools for display and analysis
  • user workshops and seminars
  • Unidata community of over 160 institutions

See: UCAR's Unidata Program



As a research center, we do not maintain our own permanent observational network, but instead rely on data collected by national and international organizations charged with measuring and archiving environmental data on a daily basis. Some of the weather bureaus listed by the World Weather Information Service, for example, may provide archives suitable for research.

We provide access to data sets collected during field campaigns or created for experimentation and analysis by us or by universities and laboratories in our research community. Search NCAR/UCAR DASH (our Digital Assets Data Hub) here:

Related question

Where can I find global temperature records?


U.S. weather data for temperatures, winds, precipitation (rainfall/snowfall/hail), and other key measurements can usually be obtained from the office of the state climatologist in the region(s) you're interested in.

In Colorado, for example, the state climatology office is the Colorado Climate Center at Colorado State University.

To find a comparable office in another state:

  • Visit (American Association of State Climatologists). The site also provides information and links to six regional offices (see Regional Climate Centers, below)
  • Or search for "state climatologist" plus the state's name in your favorite search engine.
  • For international locations, try a similar search engine approach.

What if I need data from more than one U.S. state?

Follow the links provided on the map provided at the link above, or go directly to:


What about another country?

The World Meteorological Organization is a good place to start

For the United States

See this website for visualizations of weather data for noncommerical use by researchers, aviators, and weather enthusiasts, produced by NCAR's Research Applications Laboratory. Please read the site disclaimer and enjoy exploring the data:


The World Meteorological Organization aggregates city forecasts produced around the world by official meteorogical and hydrological services here:


Getting permission

Professional photographers, filmmakers, and journalists should discuss their projects with these contacts:

For projects about us or related to our mission

Journalists and producers, please contact the NCAR & UCAR Media Office

For requests to use our location

Please see our policy regarding location-only filming.


We have thousands of images across hundreds of NCAR and UCAR websites, so permission will depend on where the visual you're interested in has come from. Here are some of our primary sources for images:

  • All other UCAR or NCAR websites
    Please contact the webmaster or administrative office associated with the page on which you found the image.

  • Social media sites
    We invite all nonprofit uses consistent with UCAR's Terms of Use for the images and video shared on our AtmosNews channels, including:


During Business Hours

UCAR's buildings and grounds are available during regular business hours for use by UCAR programs, UCAR member universities, and non-UCAR organizations whose purpose is directly related to the UCAR mission.  Reservations for meeting rooms, arrangements for food and beverage services, and requests for other types of meeting support may be made by staff and official visitors through the Room Reservation System Web site.

After Hours

After business hours, generally only the Mesa Laboratory building and grounds and the Center Green 1 building (on a space-available basis) are usable by UCAR programs and for certain events by qualifying non-UCAR organizations and official visitors, and for significant personal events for UCAR employees and retirees. A room fee is charged for use by non-UCAR sponsored and non-UCAR business activities.


Password questions

Passwords for the UCAR Common Authentication System (UCAS), also known as Kerberos passwords, are provided to staff, visitors, and collaborators who meet specific requirements. Visitors and collaborators should discuss password needs with their staff host.

If you need additional assistance, contact your lab, division, or program's systems administrator, who provides your local system support.

No legitimate service ever asks for your password via email. You should never reply to such requests, which are known as phishing scams.

There are so many Internet scam attempts that we cannot provide a separate warning for each new scam or virus that is falsely associated with our organization. We urge everyone to be familiar with and follow Internet safety practices. See, for example:



Publicizing an event or opportunity

We are happy to post news from the atmospheric and related Earth sciences community about major meetings as well as fellowships, job openings, and similar opportunities. To view current listings and submission information for this free service, see:


Please view our Calendar of Events for examples of the types of local (Front Range) events we list and the information we require.  Then send detailed information about your event to the Staff Notes Daily editor:

We'll review it for possible inclusion in the calendar.




This list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) addresses typical questions about facilities and services at NCAR and UCAR. If you don't find an answer here, in the dropdown menus above, the links at the right, or by using our site search, please fill out our web form to email us.