Foreign Institutions - Spellouts

UCAR Style Guide

Our style is to translate all foreign institutional names with the exception of Academia Sinica. (For full discussion see "foreign institutions" entry under F.) Here are some examples; you will need to search online for others not on this list.


British Spellings

Preserve the original, e.g.: European Centre, World Programme


Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)—National Center for Scientific Research, France

Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire (CERN)—European Laboratory for Particle Physics (in Geneva.)

Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Luft und Raumfahrt, Oberphaffenhofen—German Aerospace Research Establishment (in Oberpfaffenhofen)

Kernforschungszentrum Jülich GmbH—Nuclear Research Center (in Jülich)

KNMI—Royal Dutch Meteorological Institute

Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)—National Autonomous University of Mexico

Università degli Studi dell' Aquila—University of Aquila

Università degli Studi di Milano—University of Milan

Leuven or Louvain?

"No confusion in Belgium, as the Flemish university is called 'Katholieke Universiteit Leuven,' and the Walloon university is called the 'Universite Catholique de Louvain.' However,... in English, these both translate to 'Catholic University of Louvain.' . . ." [e-mail correspondence from Hans De Sterck to Bob Henson, 26 Jan 2000]

To avoid confusion, preserve the idiosyncratic spelling of the city in each language:

Katholieke Universiteit Leuven—Catholic University of Leuven
Universite Catholique de Louvain—Catholic University of Louvain