Frequently Asked Questions
We have staff with all kinds of backgrounds and expertise. Many have degrees in meteorology, climate science, atmospheric chemistry, and related Earth science fields. See the other topics on this page to learn more about careers in scientific research.
But we also have people with many other kinds of skills working with us. Our staff have training in scientific computing, hardware and software engineering, project management, systems administration, web development, office and business services, and a variety of other fields. To learn more about nonscientific job opportunities, see:
Programs of all types:
- See Scholarship Information (Discovering the Atmospheric Sciences)
Programs emphasizing underrepresented groups:
- SOARS–Significant Opportunities in Atmospheric Research and Science
- NOAA Educational Partnership Program
- AMS/Industry Minority Scholarships
- Also see the websites of the minority-serving colleges and universities and professional societies.