NCAR Visitor Center - One-Day Closure - Saturday 10/25 more info>

UCAR President's Council Summary Notes - 19 August 2011

Present for all agenda items: Rick Anthes, Jack Fellows, Maura Hagan, Katy Schmoll, and Roger Wakimoto

Present for Item 1: Kimberly Kosmenko, Melissa Miller, Milenda Powers, Bob Roesch, and Shawn Winkelman

Present for Item 2: Rena Brasher-Alleva, Hanne Mauriello, Melissa Miller, Bob Roesch, Barb Schnell, and Shawn Winkelman

Present for Item 3: Rena Brasher-Alleva

Present for Items 4 and 5: Rena Brasher-Alleva, Susan Friberg, Helen Moshak, and Jeff Reaves

Present for Item 5: Rena Brasher-Alleva, Susan Friberg, and Jeff Reaves

Present for Item 6: Susan Friberg

Present for Item 7: Bob Henson and Matt Hirschland

To view current and previous summary notes, please click on the following link:  https://www.ucar.edu/inside/internal/pc.

We convened at 8:00 am in the Fleischman Building Board Room.

1. Revised Smoking Policy.

Milenda and Kimberly discussed the need to revise the UCAR smoking policy in order to meet the requirements for LEED certification.  The policy will apply to all UCAR owned and managed facilities and will ban smoking within 25 feet of building openings and also in shuttles and GSA vehicles.  A revised policy will be published soon.

2. FinTools. 

Melissa Miller reported that the IFAS accounting system was upgraded successfully at the end of July.  The upgrade provides a web-based system that is more capable, more powerful, and vastly superior to the old BiTech system in terms of usability.  Shawn Winkelman presented a proposal on the expanded access to salary information for staff in UCAR with the need for this information to do their jobs (e.g., preparation of proposals).  Rena summarized some recommendations on policies associated with the proposal and awards (PANDA) project.  The purpose of PANDA is to automate the proposal and award process and allow staff to focus on what is most important in the proposal process rather than routine calculations.  The Council approved all the recommendations made by Shawn and Rena and congratulated the FinTools Lead Team on the substantial progress that has been made.

3. Budget Updates.

We reviewed NCAR and UCP budget issues.  Rena updated the Council on NCAR’s budget situation.  The final NSF budget for FY11 was received this week, and it was what was expected, a flat budget plus targeted increments (i.e., an increase of $2.0M for certain support activities associated with the NCAR-Wyoming Supercomputing Center and community modeling).  The guidance for the FY12 budget from NSF is flat.  FY13 guidance is to prepare for significant budget cuts as OMB has instructed all agencies to prepare budget requests for FY13 with at least a five percent budget reduction.  Jack reported on UCP’s budget situation.  NOAA Cooperative Agreements for JOSS, COMET and VSP have been approved as multi-year (five-year) agreements.  Congratulations to everyone working on these agreements.

4.  SPEC-NCAR Advisory Council Meeting Review.

The meeting of the Scientific Programs Evaluation Committee (SPEC) and the NCAR Advisory Council earlier this week appears to have been very successful.  The briefing at the end of the meeting by SPEC was quite positive.  SPEC is writing a report, and we hope to have it by the end of August.  Jim Anderson (Arizona State University and member of SPEC) will present the SPEC report at the October Members’ meeting.  There was a discussion of “lessons learned” in order to better prepare for the upcoming Management Review in October.

5.  NSF Management Review of NCAR and UCAR.

Preparations are underway for the NSF Management Review of NCAR and UCAR, to be held the week of 17-21 October.  The drafts of the report are due to Rick by COB Friday, 26 August.  Rick will prepare a first draft of the complete report and send it to the Council and writing team before they meet on Thursday, 1 September.

6.  October Meetings.

Jack led a discussion on the 3-6 October Board and Members’ Meetings and related workshops, including a communication workshop for early career faculty and a community alliance workshop.  We reviewed the various agendas and made suggestions. The program is shaping up well, and there is a placeholder for the new UCAR President to speak if the search is successfully completed by then.  We will review again in September.

7.  Preview of New UCAR/NCAR Lobby Video. 

We watched a preview of the new UCAR/NCAR Lobby video.  Matt reported that the video would be shown for a few months in the Mesa lobby theater to get public feedback and any changes made reflecting that feedback (based on the E&O “build it, test it, and give it away” motto). The President’s Council thought the video was quite good and provided some general comments, including adding NSF as our sponsor on the UCAR slide toward the end.  The Council offered thanks to everyone who has worked on this project.

8.  Unstructured Discussion.

Maura, Roger and Katy will be going to the NSF meeting on recompetition to be held on 3 November.

Katy reported on a request from RAL for: (1) permission to put up an outside bench at FL in honor of Tom Warner, and (2) name a room in FL3 after Tom.  The Council agreed to the bench request but would like to develop a policy to cover the naming of rooms after people rather than considering these requests on an ad hoc basis.  F&A was tasked with drafting a policy for President’s Council review.  A suggestion was made to consider putting an “honor roll” wall or display in each building for honoring deceased staff.

Katy, Matt Hirschland, and Matt McMullen are studying the ramifications of the ballot initiative in November that could begin the process whereby the City of Boulder would ultimately own and operate the electrical utility services now owned and operated by Xcel.

We adjourned at 11:45 am.

About you
First name: 
Susie
Last name: 
Siders
Phone extension: 
1650
Announcement contact
First name: 
Rick
Last name: 
Anthes
Phone extension: 
1652
Announcement duration
Start: 
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
End: 
Wednesday, August 24, 2011